Alternative Spring Break Service Project
Spring Break 2017
The Office of International Education is excited to announce an Alternative Spring Break Service Project, co-sponsored by Serve-Learn-Sustain! The trip will provide an opportunity for participants from the GT community to take part in an Environmental service project near the Gulf Coast of Florida. We are eager to invite both U.S. and international students to provide a cross cultural experience for Georgia Tech students.
Here's some of what you can expect:
- Help improve and restore the coastal environment
- Learn about the ecology of the Florida Coast
- Meet, Work, Engage, and Share with GT students from around the world
- Participate in Intercultural dialogues and activities
- Have FUN and Make a Difference!
- Who: All GT Students (International and U.S.), J-1 Interns and J-1 Scholars. There are 40 total spaces available.
- What: Service trip to work on Environmental Restoration projects including Oyster Reef Restoration
- When: We'll leave GT early on Sunday, March 19th, and return the night of Wednesday March 22nd
- Where: Near DeFuniak Springs, Florida
- How Much: Cost to Students is $160. This includes transportation, lodging, most meals. Students should bring some cash, and will be expected to pay for 1 meal on the return trip to GT.
Student Testimonials from Last Year's trip (to South Carolina)
- “This four day trip was a wonderful break from my graduate studies. It gave me amazing revelation about how people can work together to achieve wonders when they are similarly motivated…”
- “We all have the responsibility to help people who suffer a lot from either natural disaster or other difficulties!”
- “I learned many valuable things this trip; teamwork, friendship, and communication skill, but most importantly the responsibility that I owe to my community.”
- “We students set aside our cultural differences and put our efforts into helping people in desperate need of our helping hands and understanding”
- “This trip taught me to respect the environment and to respect all jobs”
Click here to see the website for last year's Service Trip to South Carolina, for an idea of what the trip will be like.
How to Sign up
Use this form to sign up! (Form will open on January 30th @ 8:30 am.) The 1st 40 people to sign up will be sent a link to the payment website. Payment is required within 48 hours, or you will lose your spot. The next 25 will be placed onto a waitlist.
Refund Policy: Any request for a refund must be submitted via email to Charlie Hammons (email@example.com) by 5 pm on Wednesday, February 16, 2017. Students will receive a refund of 90% of their $160 payment only after a replacement from the waitlist has paid to participate. Refunds requested after February 16th cannot be honored due to payments OIE has already made for reservations.