The Office of International Education (OIE) is open during normal institute business hours, Monday- Friday 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. EDT and is closed on Institute holidays and during inclement weather events. The OIE will continue to provide support for advising, SEVIS updates, and benefit processing during Georgia Institute of Technology's temporary modifications to services to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak. Beginning Monday, March 16, 2020 the OIE physical office will be closed to non-staff while OIE tests the pandemic continuity of operations plan.
International Student and Scholar Advising is the opportunity to discuss questions about your visa status directly with an international services expert. Our advisers are available at the times advertised in the calendar located on the right side of this page. If you need advising services outside of these hours, you are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Some example topics you can learn more about in advising include:
- Travel or visa related questions
- CPT/OPT timeline questions
- Academic reduced course load
- Change of level, change of major, transferring
- Obtain travel signature after e-form approval
General Advising Information
Working with Advisors
Advisors in our office are highly knowledgeable in the interpretation and application of federal regulations governing student and scholar immigration statuses. We recommend visiting our website to review information regarding your situation and if you still have questions we encourage you speak to an advisor regarding your status or your eligibility for a particular immigration benefit. Advisors are also trained in a variety of social and cultural areas, including intercultural communication and cultural adjustment.
Advisors can discuss a number of issues with students and scholars, including immigration regulations, Institute policies, and resources to assist with cultural adjustment and academic success. Be aware advisors will provide referrals for the following matters:
- Legal issues, including criminal and civil court cases
- H1-B employment information and visa types beyond F-1 and J-1
- Change of Status
- Preparation of USCIS Forms
- U.S. tax law
- Mental health and personal counseling needs
Advisors may provide some basic guidance or support and a referral to another office on campus or recommend you seek assistance from outside professionals when your needs extend beyond our professional limits, as outlined above.
Advising sessions are confidential. Records of meetings with advisors are only available to staff members in our office and other Institute personnel who have a professional need to know about your visit. Advisors may discuss complex cases with each other when there is a question of interpretation of immigration regulations.
The ISSS Email System allows for ISSS advisors to review and respond to an email in the most efficient and organized way. Please allow up to 48 hours for a response to an email message. Please email email@example.com and always include your GT ID number in your text.
Are you a department that sponsors J-1 Scholars?
Are you a visiting J-1 Student Intern?
Virtual advising appointments will be available beginning, Wednesday, March 18th.
Online Advising with Zoom
As we implement this virtual advising tool, we ask for your patience and support with the following parameters:
• Students will be able to dial-in to a Zoom meeting or use a microphone on their computer to meet with an advisor virtually.
• Each advising slot will be up to 15 minutes in length. In the event the advisor cannot get to all your questions during the 15 minute slot, the advisor will collect your information and schedule a follow up appointment.
• Students and exchange visitors may use this link to choose an advising slot: https://georgia-tech-international-student-scholar-services.appointlet.com
• Students and exchange visitors may book a virtual appointment up to one business day in advance.
Choosing Your Appointment
Once you choose an appointment slot, you will receive an e-mail that OIE received your appointment request. An advisor will confirm the virtual advising appointment within one business day. A second e-mail will both confirm the appointment and provide the link to the appointment.
iStart E-form Requests
The Office of International Education utilizes an online portal called iStart to manage student and scholar requests. An E-Form is an electronic application accessed through iStart to request a benefit, such as an I-20 or DS-2019 update, work authorization, travel authorization, etc. The E-forms in iStart will provide you with all the information necessary. You will log into iStart and use your regular GT user name. Once all steps are completed in the application or request process, including the academic department authorization (if required), OIE-ISSS will conduct its review and approve or deny your request.
If APPROVED, you will receive an e-mail to pick up the final document, such as a letter or an I-20/DS-2019.
If DENIED, you will receive an e-mail explaining the reason for the denial OR a request for additional information for further consideration.
Additional Contact Information
The Office of International Education can be reached daily for general questions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Advising Hours advertised above.
In case of an emergency (death, severe illness, or arrest) while the office is closed, please contact GT Campus Police, 404-894-2500, a member of our 24 hour emergency response team will assist you.
If you have questions regarding:
- Undergraduate Admissions: (404) 894-4154
- Graduate Admissions: (404) 894-1610
- Registrar’s Office: (404) 894-4150
- Bursar’s Office: (404) 894-4618
- GT Language Institute: (404) 894-2425
- Student Health Insurance: (404) 894-1420
- Center for Career Discovery and Development: (404) 894-2550
- Student Center Information Desk: (404) 894-2788