ISSS Walk-in Advising
*No walk-ins on Wednesday through May 31, 2018
Students and Scholars may visit an advisor without an appointment during our daily Walk-in Advising hours. Advisors try to keep the conversation to approximately 10 minutes. Some example topics would be:
- Travel or visa related questions
- CPT/OPT timeline questions
- Academic reduced course load
- Change of level, change of major, transferring
- Obtain travel signature after e-form approval
Please note OIE Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm and are NOT the same as ISSS Walk-in Advising hours.
ISSS appointments are available on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am-11am. Appointments for international students are available by completing the ISSS Appointment System (see below) and selecting a day and time you'd like to meet with an ISSS advisor.
- Appointments are available as an alternative to Walk-in Advising for students and scholars who are not available for the afternoon Walk-in Advising hours.
- Appointments are available in 15 minute increments.
- Same-day appointments are not available due to scheduling constraints.
- You will be asked to indicate the reason for the visit and if the appointment is going to be in-person or via phone.
The ISSS Email System allows for ISSS advisors to review and respond to an email in the most efficient and organized way. Please allow up to 48 hours for a response to an email message - emailing/calling the office multiple times will slow down response times. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and always include your GT ID number in your text.
Are you a department that sponsors J-1 Scholars?
Are you a visiting J-1 Student Intern?
iStart E-form Requests
The Office of International Education utilizes an online portal called iStart to manage student and scholar requests. An E-Form is an electronic application accessed through iStart to request a benefit, such as an I-20 or DS-2019 update, work authorization, travel authorization, etc. The E-forms in iStart will provide you with all the information necessary. You will log into iStart and use your regular GT user name. Once all steps are completed in the application or request process, including the academic department authorization, if required, ISSS will conduct its review and approve or deny your request.
If APPROVED, you will receive an e-mail to pick up the final document, such as a letter or an I-20/DS-2019.
If DENIED, you will receive an e-mail explaining the reason for the denial OR a request for additional information for further consideration.
We cannot requests for expedited processing, so please plan accordingly.
Advisors are available via phone during OIE office hours. Due to the high volume of emails, phone calls and appointments please be prepared to leave a message including your GT ID and a convenient call back number. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response to voicemail. Calling the office multiple times will slow down response times. If you are calling from an international number please use the ISSS email system to send a detailed email as returning an international call is not efficient in most situations.
In case of an immigration emergency while the office is closed, please contact GT Campus Police, 404-894-2500
If you have questions regarding:
- Undergraduate Admissions: (404) 894-4154
- Graduate Admissions: (404) 894-1610
- Registrar’s Office: (404) 894-4150
- Bursar’s Office: (404) 894-4618
- GT Language Institute: (404) 894-2425
- Student Health Insurance: (404) 894-1420
- Center for Career Discovery and Development: (404) 894-2550
- Student Center Information Desk: (404) 894-2788
Picking up a Document:
Visit the office during OIE office hours to pick-up documents (I-20's, letters, etc.)
Obtaining a Travel Signature:
If you have received approval for a travel signature you will need to bring your I-20/DS-2019 to the office during Walk-in Advising Hours or make an appointment if you are only available in the morning hours.