Students who are interning abroad during Summer (or Fall) 2018 are encouraged to register with the Global Internship Program in OIE. This includes many full-time overseas research placements and service-learning placements, in addition to more traditional corporate internships. Deadline to register for summer is May 11.
See https://oie.gatech.edu/gip/how-register-your-global-internship for more details, and email email@example.com with any questions.
There are several benefits associated with registering your internship:
- Maintain GT enrollment and student status while overseas (some internships require that you prove your student status to process your hire and/or visa)
- Cancel on-campus housing contract with no penalty for term abroad
- Access to comprehensive overseas insurance at a very low rate
- Recognition of international internship on GT transcript (tuition-free audit course)
- Earned income from a registered co-op or internship can be listed as an exclusion on the FAFSA
- Access to an OIE advisor who can assist with visas and other required documentation, pre-departure orientation, and other concerns while abroad
- You must register your overseas internship with GT in order for it to count for your International Plan weeks abroad