Weeks per Term
OIE Program Adviser
Languages of Instruction*
Preferred Participating Majors
This university is located in Leeds, England. To learn more about this city and country, please visit:
The University of Leeds has been named UK "University of the Year 2017 by the Times and The Sunday Times' Good University Guide. The University of Leeds received its charter from Edward VII in 1904 and has since developed an international reputation for high quality teaching and research. With about 28,000 students in over 684 different degree programs, Leeds is one of the largest universities in England. Leeds has such a good reputation for being warm and welcoming to international students that they now have students from over 100 countries at the university.
- on-campus residence hall
- off-campus apartments/rooms for rent
You can choose from several types of housing at the University of Leeds ranging from single rooms with meal plans to shared housing. The University residence halls have a full meal plan, the cost of which is included in your housing fees. Three residence halls are on campus yet the majority are located 1-3 miles away on a main bus route. An advantage of choosing a residence hall is the convenience of communal dining rooms and laundry facilities.
There are also flats (apartments) with communal kitchens and private or shared shower and toilet. Small, shared housing is also an option. There is a "Hillel House" which is an associated hostel with a cafeteria serving Kosher food for Jewish students of the University.
Housing becomes available at the start of the Intro week in September. You will receive an application for housing from the Office of International Education after you are accepted as a participant in this program. On that application, you'll be able to specify your housing preferences. More details for housing can be found on-line: click here
- meal plan
- Georgia Tech degree-seeking student.
- Good Academic Standing with a 3.0* (or higher) GPA at time of application
- Undergraduates must have completed at least two semesters of study at GT.
- At least 18 years of age by the program's departure date
- Be able to stay at the host university for the duration of their semester, INCLUDING through their exam period
- Be in Good Standing with the Office of Student Affairs and Housing
- All Non-U.S. Citizens are welcome to apply to participate in an exchange outside of their home country only. This rule applies to all who do not have a U.S. passport, including U.S. Permanent Residents.
- All study abroad participants are required to have a passport prior to any visa deadline dates, and any needed visas prior to departure date (Students are responsible for securing all required travel documents per the host country’s regulations prior to departure).
*Some host schools have stricter requirements such as higher GPA or more time in school before study abroad. (See Academic Info on your host school GT program page for any restrictions.)
Credit for courses taken as a part of exchange programs is received by transferring the credits back to Georgia Tech. For more information about this, click here. Here you will find the foreign credit approval form, the foreign credit approval form instructions, and a link to the registrar's Equivalency Table.
CREDIT TRANSFER SYSTEM
Leeds uses the following credit transfer system:
1 Leeds credit = 0.357 GT credits
10 Leeds credits = 3 GT credits
20 Leeds credits = 7 GT credits
Leeds Grade = US Grade
64-100 = A
49-63 = B
36-48 = C
34-35 = D
0-33 = F
Program Costs (Estimated)
- For most exchange programs, participants must pay GT tuition, GT campus fees, and study abroad insurance to the GT Bursar for each GT semester they are abroad. No other expenses associated with this program are paid to GT; instead, these expenses are paid on site.
- Keep in mind the costs of books, health insurance, food, living expenses, and travel money, as well as pre-departure costs like your passport and visa.
- Following are cost estimates for one semester at the exchange program school that may help you prepare for your term(s) abroad. All costs are in USD.