Weeks per Term
OIE Program Adviser
Languages of Instruction*
This university is located in Shanghai, China. To learn more about this city and country, please visit:
Tongji University is one of the leading universities directly under the State Ministry of Education in China. It offers degree programs both at undergraduate and graduate levels. The university now registers over 50,000 students at all levels. There are over 4,200 academic staff for teaching and/or research, among whom there are 6 Members of Chinese Academy of Science, 7 Members of Chinese Academy of Engineering, over 710 professors, and 1,500 associate professors. As one of the state leading centers for scientific research, the university has 22 state key laboratories and engineering research centers.
- off-campus apartments/rooms for rent
- on-campus residence halls
The International Students Services Centers are located on the three campuses on Tongji University. They are all equipped with telephones, toilets, showers, air-conditioning, public kitchens, classrooms, and business services.
- no meal plan
- on-campus dining
Tongji's campus includes many student canteens, restaurants, and a bakery so students have fast food, buffet, and sit-down dining options. A variety of foods are served.
- Georgia Tech degree-seeking student.
- Good Academic Standing with a 3.0* (or higher) GPA at time of application
- Undergraduates must have completed at least two semesters of study at GT.
- At least 18 years of age by the program's departure date
- Be able to stay at the host university for the duration of their semester, INCLUDING through their exam period
- Be in Good Standing with the Office of Student Affairs and Housing
- All Non-U.S. Citizens are welcome to apply to participate in an exchange outside of their home country only. This rule applies to all who do not have a U.S. passport, including U.S. Permanent Residents.
- All study abroad participants are required to have a passport prior to any visa deadline dates, and any needed visas prior to departure date (Students are responsible for securing all required travel documents per the host country’s regulations prior to departure).
*Some host schools have stricter requirements such as higher GPA or more time in school before study abroad. (See Academic Info on your host school GT program page for any restrictions.)
NOTE: You must be an Architecture graduate student to participate in this program.
There is useful information on the website for the College of Architecture and Urban Planning at Tongji University.
Tongji teaches some undergraduate course in English in Architecture and Environmental Engineering. Studios taught in English for international students are available. Tongji also offers a set of general courses taught in English each semester. This consists of approximately 9 courses about Chinese history, culture, economics, communication, development, and foreign affairs.
Credit for courses taken as a part of exchange programs is received by transferring the credits back to Georgia Tech. For more information about this, click here. Here you will find the foreign credit approval form, the foreign credit approval form instructions, and a link to the registrar's Equivalency Table.
CREDIT TRANSFER SYSTEM
1 Tongji credit = 1.44 GT credits
Tongji Grade = GT Grade
90-100 (Excellent) = A
80-89 (Very Good) = B
70-79 (Good) = C
60-69 (Pass) = D
0-59 (Failure) = F
Program Costs (Estimated)
- For most exchange programs, participants must pay GT tuition, GT campus fees, and study abroad insurance to the GT Bursar for each GT semester they are abroad. No other expenses associated with this program are paid to GT; instead, these expenses are paid on site.
- Keep in mind the costs of books, health insurance, food, living expenses, and travel money, as well as pre-departure costs like your passport and visa.
- Following are cost estimates for one semester at the exchange program school that may help you prepare for your term(s) abroad. All costs are in USD.