Weeks per Term
OIE Program Adviser
Languages of Instruction*
This university is located in Beijing, China. To learn more about this city and country, please visit:
Peking University is a comprehensive and national key university. The campus, known as "Yan Yuan"（the garden of Yan）, is situated at Haidian District in the western suburb of Beijing, with a total area of 2,743,532 square metres (or 274 hectares). It stands near to the Yuanmingyuan Garden and the Summer Palace.
Peking University is proud of its outstanding faculty, including 53 members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), 7 members of the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE), and 14 members of the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS).
The university has effectively combined research on important scientific subjects with the training of personnel with a high level of specialized knowledge and professional skill as demanded by the country's socialist modernization. It strives not only for improvements in teaching and research work, but also for the promotion of interaction and mutual promotion among various disciplines.
Thus Peking University has become a center for teaching and research and a university of a new type, embracing diverse branches of learning such as basic and applied sciences, social sciences and the humanities, and sciences of medicine, management, and education. Its aim is to rank among the world's best universities in the future.
DEPARTMENT OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING
Established in 2005, the Department of Biomedical Engineering of Peking University was one of the fundamental departments of Peking University's College of Engineering. From its establishment, BME department commits itself onto cutting-edge life science and medical research in the context of engineering technology. We have established the graduate education system, with fruitful progress on the biomedical engineering research.
HOUSING AND MEALS
International Students may live on campus at the Shao Yuan Student Dormitory or Zhongguanyuan Global Village. Students who live on campus must abide by the rules and regulations of their residence. International Students who extended their duration of study will not be provided with on-campus housing arrangements.
Students may also choose to live off campus under the condition that they must register themselves at the police station of their residential area and obtain Accommodation Certificate from the local police station. If you are living off campus, do ensure that your rental contract with your landlord is legitimate and reliable. The Division of International Students’ Office also provides students with information regarding off-campus housing. Please consult the staff at the office if you wish for such assistance.
Students may dine at the Shao Yuan cafeteria, Zhongguanyuan Global Village cafeteria or at other canteens and restaurants on campus. The restaurants are usually a little more expansive than the cafeterias. Convenient stores such as WuMei Mini Mart, Boshi Convenient Store and BeiXin Market can be found on campus students may purchase their daily necessities as well as groceries. Do look up the campus map to find out the location of these stores.
Other facilities miscellaneous facilities that are available in PKU include: hospitals, post office, banks, bookstores, laundry mat, photo development shop and a theater.
The Division of International Students Office organizes cultural events, trips and tours around the city for the students. Each program’s department also organizes after-classes/extracurricular activities which students are encouraged to participate.The university also provides its students with facilities for sports and recreation. Students are required to pay an entrance fee to gain access to these facilities. Students are also encouraged to join clubs and associations such as the cultural performance club, dance club, athletic clubs, choir, orchestra and other forms of student organizations.
- Georgia Tech degree-seeking student.
- Good Academic Standing with a 3.0* (or higher) GPA at time of application
- Undergraduates must have completed at least two semesters of study at GT.
- At least 18 years of age by the program's departure date
- Be able to stay at the host university for the duration of their semester, INCLUDING through their exam period
- Be in Good Standing with the Office of Student Affairs and Housing
- All Non-U.S. Citizens are welcome to apply to participate in an exchange outside of their home country only. This rule applies to all who do not have a U.S. passport, including U.S. Permanent Residents.
- All study abroad participants are required to have a passport prior to any visa deadline dates, and any needed visas prior to departure date (Students are responsible for securing all required travel documents per the host country’s regulations prior to departure).
*Some host schools have stricter requirements such as higher GPA or more time in school before study abroad. (See Academic Info on your host school GT program page for any restrictions.)
*This exchange is open to Biomedical Engineering students only.
For PKU's BME courses and syllabi click here.
Chinese language courses are available but will not count for BME depth elective credits.
Credit for courses taken as a part of exchange programs is received by transferring the credits back to Georgia Tech. For more information about this, click here. Here you will find the foreign credit approval form, the foreign credit approval form instructions, and a link to the registrar's Equivalency Table.
CREDIT TRANSFER SYSTEM
1 PKU credit = 1.2 GT credit
PKU Grade = US Grade
85-100 = A
75-84 = B
64-74 = C
60-63 = D
< 60 = F
Program Costs (Estimated)
- For most exchange programs, participants must pay GT tuition, GT campus fees, and study abroad insurance to the GT Bursar for each GT semester they are abroad. No other expenses associated with this program are paid to GT; instead, these expenses are paid on site.
- Keep in mind the costs of books, health insurance, food, living expenses, and travel money, as well as pre-departure costs like your passport and visa.
- Following are cost estimates for one semester at the exchange program school that may help you prepare for your term(s) abroad. All costs are in USD.