Connect with Us!

OIE serves students, faculty, staff, and other stakeholders with a hybrid approach that includes both virtual and in-person services.  While most services are provided virtually, some matters require in-person meetings. When meeting in-person is required, an OIE staff member will contact you directly to schedule a mutually agreeable day and time for the meeting. OIE is respecting social distancing and cleaning protocols as described in “Tech Moving Forward”. 

International Students and Scholars: Drop-in AdvisingMake an AppointmentAdvising Information
Education Abroad: Make an Appointment
Global Research & Internship Program: Make an Appointment
International Plan Undergraduate Designation Program: Make an Appointment
On-Campus Internationalization : Information Contact Page
For all other inquiries:  Refer to our staff list

Important Notice: At this time, the Office of International Education (OIE) is accepting requests for DS-2019 Certificates of Eligibility for the J-1 visa for the following:

  • Individuals receiving offers for full-time paid employment with Georgia Tech.
  • Individuals enrolling as degree-seeking or bilateral exchange students through established OIE agreements.
  • Individuals participating in prestigious programs like Fulbright or Humphries scholars (subject to approval from the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research (EVPR).

Georgia Tech administration revisited this decision in early November and will revisit the decision again at the end of January to ensure that the above categories still represent the appropriate limitations at that time. Until further notice we ask for departments to wait on inviting guests or affiliates for the purpose of research or cultural exchange who are not included in the permissions outlined above.

We encourage you to contact with any questions regarding the information above and review the OIE Covid-19 Exchange Visitor FAQ for more information on Covid-19 and the Exchange Visitor Program.

Q: I’m unable to arrive in the U.S. in time to begin my program, what options are available to support me?

A: You may request to change your program start date and program end date by contacting the HR manager in your host department, who will provide the relevant information to OIE. You will be notified by e-mail once your program start/end date(s) are updated. 

Q: As an Exchange Visitor am I able to move to a remote environment in pursuit of my program objective?

A: All exchange visitors in Active status remaining inside the U.S. will be given the option to pursue program objectives remotely inside the U.S. Exchange Visitors should work with their host supervisors to ensure support for remote work accommodations. Any changes to the research activity such as topic, supervision, and international travel should be reviewed to ensure compliance with US laws and regulations. Please report any changes to OIE and please send a request for an export review to the Office of General Counsel, Counsel - Export and Trade, to

Q: I wish to return home and not continue my EV program, how do I notify OIE of my intent to depart?

A: Please notify your academic department HR coordinator that you wish to end your Exchange Visitor program early. Your academic department will notify OIE of the change to program dates.

Q: How can I request an extension of my program within the maximum duration of status?

A: Each exchange visitor category has a maximum duration of stay outlined within the federal regulations as per the chart below. Exchange Visitors with additional time remaining in the maximum duration of stay who wish to continue program objectives are eligible to request an extension. In order to request an extension, the Exchange Visitor should discuss their request to extend their program with their supervisor. The supervisor will request support from the academic department HR coordinator. The HR coordinator will enter a “J Scholar/Student Intern Extension Request” e-form request and work closely with OIE, Global HR, and the Office of General Counsel to request an extension of program end date within the maximum duration of the Exchange Visitor category. Exchange visitors will need to demonstrate proof of funding and evidence of existing health insurance meeting U.S. Department of State requirements with their request for extension.

Table 1: Maximum Duration of Exchange Visitor Categories

Exchange Visitor Category

Maximum Duration

Professor/Research Scholar

5 years

Short-Term Scholar

6 months


1 year

Student Intern

1 year


Q: What options exist to remain beyond my program end date?

A: Exchange Visitors are eligible to remain inside the U.S. for 30 days after their program end date, this period of time is referred to as the 30-day grace period. Exchange Visitors are ineligible to continue working during the 30-day grace period, but can travel freely inside the U.S. Once you depart the U.S. in the 30-day grace period, you are ineligible to re-enter the U.S. within the 30-day grace period in J-1 status.

Q: I left the U.S. for a temporary period and am now unable to return to the U.S. to pursue my program objectives, what options are available to me to keep my SEVIS record in Active status?

Exchange Visitors in the Research Scholars and Professor categories currently outside the U.S. and unable to return will be provided with the option of either extending the period of their personal leave on Out-of-Country Travel Authorization or continuing their research program objectives after a review of Export Control and Global HR related issues. Exchange Visitors in the Professor and Research Scholar category can request support with extending the period of the Out-of-Country Authorization by submitting the “J Scholar Travel Signature” e-form request.  Exchange visitors interested in pursuing research abroad must receive approval for research plans in advance of beginning research with the Office of General Counsel by emailing

Q: I am planning to depart the U.S. and return home for a temporary period, what options are available to me to keep my SEVIS record in Active status?

Exchange Visitors interested in pursuing Out-of-Country travel authorizations during this time should request an Out-of-Country Travel Authorization utilizing the “J Scholar Travel Signature” e-form available at Temporary exceptions to the 30 day limit on personal travel will be considered during this time to help support Exchange Visitors interested in returning home during the pandemic. Continuing research program objectives while abroad will require approval from Export Control. Please contact to request approval of out-of-country research.

Q: I plan to return to the U.S. to pursue my program objectives after a temporary time abroad, will I be required to self-quarantine?

A: Please follow current guidance available at

Q: What other responsibilities do I have to maintain status during this temporary move to a remote environment?

A: Exchange visitors must continue to maintain all Exchange Visitor requirements listed here.

Q: How can I request support from OIE with updating my SEVIS record?

A: OIE advisers are continuing to process all benefit requests and updates submitted through the iStart portal at this time. Once your request is processed you will receive instructions on how to request shipping. Shipping options include U.S. standard postal service at OIE expense or Express shipping with tracking at your expense.

Q: How can I meet with an OIE adviser during this time?

A: OIE is providing virtual advising services to support international students and scholars. You can organize an appointment with an OIE adviser by visiting the OIE website.

Q:  My J-1 program end date is approaching and my funding support is ending.  Neither I nor my PI have the funds to continue to support an extension and I’m unable to return home due to the current situation.  What are my options?

A: In order to be eligible for an extension of the J-1 program end date, Exchange visitors must demonstrate all of the following evidence:

  • Continued pursuit of original program objectives
  • Adequate financial support for the duration of the extension
  • Proof of insurance coverage meeting U.S. Department of State requirements for the J-1 primary visa holder and any J-2 visa holders

If you are unable to satisfy these conditions you will be ineligible for an extension. Options that exist include the following:

-Transfer to another institution to continue program objectives with funding from that institution prior to the J-1 program end date

-Departure prior to the 30 day grace period after the J-1 program end date

-Change of status within the U.S.

Q: Will I be subject to the 12 month or 24 month bar if I received a J-1 visa but was unable to enter the U.S. due to COVID-19 entry challenges?

A: The 12 and 24 month bar do not apply to individuals with less than 6 months of physical presence inside the U.S. in J-1 status. Because you were unable to enter the U.S. in J-1 status, you will not be subject to these bars. Please contact your host department to request a cancellation of your J-1 SEVIS record.

We encourage you to consult with a qualified immigration attorney if you are unable to pursue the options above and need additional support.

Q: Will it be possible for me to change my status within the U.S. if I am subject to 212(e)?

A: Individuals subject to 212(e) are required to receive approval for a waiver of this requirement from their home country and the U.S. government before they are eligible to apply for a change of status within the U.S. Georgia Tech is unable to provide legal counsel on the waiver application or change of status process to Exchange Visitors. 

Last modified: 
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 - 7:02pm

This notice applies to all information and resource materials provided by the OIE for the domain and for all other information provided by OIE in any media format. It is provided for informational purposes only, and is not represented to be error free, complete, accurate or current. The information contained herein is not legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for the legal advice or legal opinions of a licensed professional. Users should contact their own personal attorney or licensed professional to obtain appropriate legal advice or other professional counseling with respect to any particular issue or problem.