Connect with Us!

OIE serves students, faculty, staff, and other stakeholders with a hybrid approach that includes both virtual and in-person services.  While most services are provided virtually, some matters require in-person meetings. When meeting in-person is required, an OIE staff member will contact you directly to schedule a mutually agreeable day and time for the meeting. OIE is respecting social distancing and cleaning protocols as described in “Tech Moving Forward”. 

International Students and Scholars: Drop-in AdvisingMake an AppointmentAdvising Information
Education Abroad: Make an Appointment
Global Research & Internship Program: Make an Appointment
International Plan Undergraduate Designation Program: Make an Appointment
On-Campus Internationalization : Information Contact Page
For all other inquiries:  Refer to our staff list

Q: I am approved for practical training and need a social security card. The Social Security Administration office is currently closed for appointments. What are my options?

A: Georgia Institute of Technology is working closely with the Social Security Administration to make arrangements for in-person applications for individuals who have never applied for a social security card inside the U.S. Individuals who have already applied for a social security card in the past are eligible to apply for a renewal card via the mail-in application process. More information is available about this process at the following link.

Q: Can I continue curricular practical training in a remote environment?

A: Yes, it is possible to continue practical training in a remote environment with your supervisor’s permission and continued supervision of your practical training experience. Students may engage in CPT during their time abroad, provided they are:

 • Enrolled in a program of study in which CPT is integral to the program of study;

• Their DSO authorized CPT in advance of the CPT start date; and

• Either the employer has an office outside the United States or the employer can assess student engagement and attainment of learning objectives electronically.

Please contact C2D2 to update them with any changes to your employment via CareerBuzz. They will determine if an update is necessary to submit via the Istart portal during this time.

Q: If my internship becomes remote after I have already received my CPT authorization, do I need to update OIE?

A: OIE has a process in place to notify the U.S. government that students participating in CPT will either be participating at the employer address on file in SEVIS or the residential address on file in SEVIS. If your residential address changes, you are required to report this change to OIE within ten days via the Personal Information Update e-form.

Q: If I need to make an update to my current CPT authorization, will I need to pay the Practical Training Fee again?

A: If you have already been authorized for CPT and C2D2 is just submitting an update to that existing authorization, then you will not be sent a new link to provide information and you will not need to pay the practical training fee again.

Q: How do I make changes to my Curricular Practical Training dates?

A: Please notify C2D2 via CareerBuzz of any changes to your CPT dates. C2D2 will share this information with OIE and will work to support you with those changes. Please note you will not be eligible to work outside of the dates listed on your CPT approval.

Q: Can I have part-time CPT in another U.S. city and take Georgia Tech classes remotely as long as I am enrolled for 12 or more credits?

A. Students interested in this option will need to consult with an OIE adviser in an individual advising appointment to review CPT eligibility for the term.

Last modified: 
Monday, November 9, 2020 - 10:41am

This notice applies to all information and resource materials provided by the OIE for the domain and for all other information provided by OIE in any media format. It is provided for informational purposes only, and is not represented to be error free, complete, accurate or current. The information contained herein is not legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for the legal advice or legal opinions of a licensed professional. Users should contact their own personal attorney or licensed professional to obtain appropriate legal advice or other professional counseling with respect to any particular issue or problem.