Hong Kong - HKUST Exchange Program

Program Type

Program Type: 
University Exchange
Program Level: 

Weeks per Term

Weeks per Term: 
17 weeks / term



OIE Program Adviser

OIE Program Adviser: 

Languages of Instruction*

Languages of Instruction*: 
*Foreign Language Skills are not Required.
Academic Disciplines: 
Business Administration
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Electrical Engineering
Environmental Engineering
History, Technology, & Society
Industrial & Systems Engineering
International Affairs
Materials Science & Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Modern Languages
Program Dates: 
Fall semester:  late August – late December
Spring semester:  early February – late May
Academic Year:  late August – late May

Application Deadlines

Application Deadlines: 
AC Year-January 15
Fall-January 15
Spring-September 1
Summer-December 15


Location Information


This university is located in Hong Kong, China. To learn more about this city and country, please visit:



Opened in 1991, HKUST is dedicated to the advancement of learning and scholarship, with special emphasis on research, postgraduate education, and close collaboration with business and industry. To complement the schools and their constituent academic departments, the University has set up interdisciplinary research institutes to facilitate collaboration among the different schools as well as partnerships between the University and the public and private sector. There is approximately 1 faculty member for every 12 students, all of which are PhDs and established academics. Faculty members are required to have broad intellectual interests and to care about Hong Kong, its peoples and its future. while 35 countries are represented among the faculty members, a majority of them are from North America. HKUST has been ranked as the No. 17 technological university in the world and No. 53 in the world overall. In addition, its Business School is ranked #1 in Asia.


  • on-campus dormitories

HKUST arranges for exchange students to have an on-campus room in the one of the Undergraduate (UG) Halls. In the UG Halls, most of the rooms are doubles and residents share hall showers and bathrooms. The rooms are air-conditioned and furnished with a bed, desk, closet, and bookshelf. There is a lounge, a refrigerator, sink and microwave on each floor. The entire campus, including the dorms, offer wireless internet. You'll have the option of sharing a room with another exchange student or with a local student. We recommend that you live with a local student so that you'll have more of an immersion experience, but the choice is yours.


  • no meal plan
  • on-campus dining

There are several places to eat on campus, including two cafeterias, a western-style restaurant, and a late night noodle shop. Food is relatively inexpensive on campus, but you should expect to pay a bit more for meals in the western-style eateries. here are several restaurants in nearby Saikung, which you can reach easily by public transportation. 


  • Georgia Tech degree-seeking student.
  • Good Academic Standing with a 3.0* (or higher) GPA at time of application
  • Undergraduates must have completed at least two semesters of study at GT. 
  • At least 18 years of age by the program's departure date
  • Be able to stay at the host university for the duration of their semester, INCLUDING through their exam period
  • Be in Good Standing with the Office of Student Affairs and Housing
  • All Non-U.S. Citizens are welcome to apply to participate in an exchange outside of their home country only. This rule applies to all who do not have a U.S. passport, including U.S. Permanent Residents.
  • All study abroad participants are required to have a passport prior to any visa deadline dates, and any needed visas prior to departure date (Students are responsible for securing all required travel documents per the host country’s regulations prior to departure).

*Some host schools have stricter requirements such as higher GPA or more time in school before study abroad. (See Academic Info on your host school GT program page for any restrictions.)

Academic Info


For HKUST's course catalog, click here

For additional information of Engineering courses, click here and navigate to the individual departmental pages.  You may be able to find more detail on certain Business Administration courses by clicking here;  See the list of departments on the left.  You may be able to find more detail on certain Sciences courses by clicking here and going to the departmental websites.

Some ISYE courses (IELM) are very small which can make them difficult for exchange students to get into if the course is even being offered that semester. Two courses that are like this are IELM 3410 and IELM 3450. 

Note that finalized course offerings for Fall semester are announced in late June and finalized course offerings for Spring semester are announced in late December.  For information about which classes are offered which semester, please click here.


Most courses at HKUST are taught in English. Some courses are offered in Cantonese, mainly among the Social Science and Humanities electives, but there are enough taught in English that you shouldn't have a problem finding enough interesting courses to fill up your schedule.

Students may be eligible to take some classes that are taught in Cantonese. There is no proficiency test on Cantonese, but students who want to take courses that are conducted in Cantonese must understand Cantonese. Courses which require Cantonese are marked with [Ca] next to the course title. The notation [C] indicates that some reading materials written in Chinese will be used for that course. Sometimes these materials can be replaced by English materials if the student talks to the course instructor.

HKUST offers beginner's courses in Putonghua for non-Chinese students. These courses come in a pair, offered in the Fall and Spring - respectively LANG113 and LANG114. These courses are part of HKUST's curriculum, so students do not have to pay for them. 

Credit Transfer

Credit for courses taken as a part of exchange programs is received by transferring the credits back to Georgia Tech. For more information about this, click here.  Here you will find the foreign credit approval form, the foreign credit approval form instructions, and a link to the registrar's Equivalency Table.





1 HKUST credit = 1 GT credit


HKUST Grade = US Grade

A+, A, A- = A
B+, B, B-= B
C+, C, C-= C
D = D
F = F

Program Costs (Estimated)

  • For most exchange programs, participants must pay GT tuition, GT campus fees, and study abroad insurance to the GT Bursar for each GT semester they are abroad. No other expenses associated with this program are paid to GT; instead, these expenses are paid on site.
  • Keep in mind the costs of books, health insurance, food, living expenses, and travel money, as well as pre-departure costs like your passport and visa.
  • Following are cost estimates for one semester at the exchange program school that may help you prepare for your term(s) abroad. All costs are in USD.
In-state Tuition: 
Out-of-state Tuition: 

GT Mandatory Fees

GT Mandatory Fees: 
Books and Supplies: 

* Miscellaneous

* Miscellaneous: 

Round-trip airfare

Round-trip airfare: 
Room and Board: 

Mandatory Insurance

Mandatory Insurance: 

In-state Total

In-state Total: 

Out-of-state Total

Out-of-state Total: 
∗ Includes passport/visa fees, required field trips, local transportation, and incidentals.

Costs in the preceding chart are estimates for GT students based on tuition rates posted by the GT Bursar.  Guaranteed tuition rates, graduate tuition rates, and MBA tuition rates vary. Please check the GT Bursar's web site to confirm actual tuition rates based on degree, term, or level of study. Insurance rates are subject to change. Actual costs may be higher or lower than those listed above, depending on the exchange rate and personal spending habits/needs.


Additional Financial Information

The currency in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong Dollar.  Please click here for current exchange rates.

Visa and Passport Information

  • Complete information about how to apply for or renew a U.S. passport is available here.
  • You must obtain all proper immigration documents, such as an official passport and a visa if required. Students are responsible for securing all required travel documents per the host country’s regulations. For visa information visit the U.S. State Department website here.

    As a University Exchange Student, you will need a valid visa. HKUST will send you the visa paperwork and will assist you in getting your visa. 

    Experiences of Former Students

    Want to hear from former study abroad students about the realities of daily life at the host school? Want to see snapshots from around the world - taken by former study abroad participants? Check out these helpful links: Peer Advisors and Study Abroad Photo Contest.

    Can't find a student perspective for your particular program? Contact this program's Exchange Abroad Advisor (listed at the top of this page); this advisor often has lists of recent participants who are eager to tell other GT students about studying abroad.